Tuesday 20 April 2010

Evaluation - Question 2

How does your media product represent particular social groups?

I believe that my thriller would be more targeted towards the late teenagers or early 20 year old as the thriller sequence is targeted on a stalker/protagonist striking the victim and I feel that with the props and character styles that I used, it would target the younger generation of the 18 to 25 year old.

The character I picked for my thriller was my brother for the protagonist would be a good choice as he is a commanding figure. Also the costume that he wore would be essential to creating a good thriller opening sequence. He wore a black hooded jacket with black trousers and black shoes. This would put the emphasis on him being a stalker and acting like a gangster of the youths of this age in time. This would attract those gangster types of people as they would feel like it is a film that they would like as there is a character representing that social group. For this I needed to use the right costume for the character when he is stalking his prey and I believe I made the right choice in putting the character in all black clothing to represent the youths social group.

The knife would also target the youth audience and show the dangers of using a knife on someone who isn't expecting it and is very vulnerable to being attacked. The knife would represent the younger audience as most of the youths now carry knifes around with them for protection, but also because the protagonist is representing all who carry as knife with them and those who use the knife. This will be a negative representation as the second character who is lying in bed will fear for his life as he is about to be stabbed.

The reaction of the younger 18 to 25 year old social group would be a negative reaction as they would see how much damage a knife can do to someone and how it not only hurts the victim but also their friends and family. The representation of some of the younger generation carrying knifes around with them is negative in my thriller as the protagonist represents that social group and is a bad representation of the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment